This two day stand up paddling skills course is aim at improving paddlers skills, knowledge and safety on the water in a number of environments. These could include, lochs, reservoirs, sheltered coastal waters and rivers around the Highland area to ensure maximum learning out on the water.
After a short meet and greet over coffee, we start off by looking at planning your paddling trips. This includes discussing weather forecasts, tide times, paddling locations using maps and charts for potential paddles over the next few days. As a group we create a safe group paddling kit list and load up and change for first of two paddling locations of the day. On the second trip we take out camping kit and wild camp and live off the paddleboard.
The adventure continues with another day out on the water paddling with a loaded paddleboard. With more exploring and hopefully spotting some great wildlife, the learning continues and fun. For those who wish, safety scenarios and rescue practice can be thrown in at the end of the weekend before loading back up the minibus and returning to the office.
- tea/coffee when meeting and return to the EH office
- transport from Inverness to West coast with minibus support throughout
- suitable paddleboard, paddle & buoyancy aids
- full body wetsuit and wetsuit shoes (please request by email when booked if required)
- 60ltr, 10 ltr and 30ltr dry bags for kit
- tent, roll mat, torch, cooking equipment & toilet bag (please request by email when booked if required)
- coffee/tea/packet soup, milk, stove and kettle for group drinks
- two days of paddleboard guiding/coaching
- copies of photos taken by your guide during the adventure
What you need to bring:
- your own warm paddling and camp clothing
- waterproof trousers & jacket
- suitable footwear for paddling and camp
- hat, cap & gloves
- tent, camping & cooking gear if you have your own
- flask for hot drinks and water bottle
- spare clothing & compact sleeping bag in a compression sack
- personal toiletries, midgy spray & suntan lotion
- food for 2x lunches, 1x dinner & 1x breakfast
- any medication you may require
Group Size: Max 6
Age: This trip is suitable for adults only.
Duration: Two days paddling/one-night wild camping. If weather too bad to link days, EH will cover the cost of commercial campsites.
Experience: Some paddleboarding experience is required for this adventure. Each day your skills will improve with the different paddling environments but locations will be chosen around group skill and weather.
Meeting Time: 9.00am Saturday 31st August
Meet Location: Explore Highland Office, Clachnaharry Works Lock, Clachnaharry Road, Inverness. IV3 8RA. Google Maps - https://goo.gl/maps/JUoymHYiPcK2
Parking: Free parking available beside the office. Please see Office page for further details on directions & parking instructions.
Finish Time: Approx 5.00-6.00pm Sunday 1st September
Craft: Touring paddleboards. Welcome to use your own if 12'6 or larger.
Personal Belongings: Camera's, phones, car keys and other personal belongings are taken out on the water at your own risk.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online - www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/