Meeting at Dochgarroch Locks, we issue a suitably sized personal buoyancy aid and paddle to everyone. After a short safety briefing, we launch onto the Caledonian Canal and head off on a mini adventure. Paddling across Loch Dochfour exploring on the route towards Loch Ness. Once on Loch Ness, we offer the group an opportunity to land on Lochend beach or by Aldourie Castle to stretch their legs and have a tea break. Here you can sit back and enjoy the stunning view looking down Loch Ness, with a little local history, plenty of opportunities to look for Nessie and take photos.
- a tandem sit on top kayak with deluxe seat pads
- a personal buoyancy aid (PFD) and a suitably sized kayak paddle
- a 60-litre dry bag per kayak for spare clothes
- approx three hours on the water guided/coached adventure
- tea/coffee/hot chocolate and biscuits/cake at the tea break
- copies of photos taken by your guide during the trip
What you need to bring: When paddling, you should expect to be splashed a little from boat spray and drips from the paddle. The weather can also change rapidly out on the lochs so its best to be prepared for the worst. Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for the four-hour trip for outdoors in the Scottish Highlands. We recommend bring along;
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over trousers (essential)
- fleece jumper base layer
- a hat or cap to keep the head warm
- old footwear/trainers that you don't mind getting wet/splashed
- water or juice as you may get thirsty
- any medication you may require
- towel & complete change of clothes for afterward - can be taken or left in your car!
Group Size: Min 4 Adults, Max 10 (Bookings closes 24 hours before the activity date. Should there not be sufficient numbers, you will be notified and issued a full refund)
Age: This trip is suitable for adults or families (minimum 5-year-old). Should you require to book for multiple spaces, please check spaces available when registering "Add More Attendee's? Click to toggle, limit X)" lets you see remaining spaces. Adults and U18's need to be booked/paid separately.
Meeting Time: 1.00pm. Please arrive early to ensure time to park and use toilet facilities.
Meet Location: Dochgaroch Locks, Dochgarroch, by Inverness. IV3 8JG. We meet on the towpath by the three yellow bollards at the Loch Ness side of Dochgarroch Locks/30 min short-term parking area opposite the Village Hall. Google Map link - https://goo.gl/maps/VTZJhZgnt8H2
Parking: Free parking available in the Scottish Canals car park, NOT Jacobite Loch Ness Car Park!
Finish Time: Approx 5.00pm
Distance: Approx. paddling distance 5 miles (8km)
Craft: Tandem sit on top kayaks are used as default.
Weather: Should the weather (wind/waves) be unsuitable to paddle out onto Loch Ness on the day, we may have to make the decision to paddle on Loch Dochfour only and/or the Caledonian Canal instead.
Personal Belongings: Camera's, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your own car when out on the water
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online at - www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/