Sea Kayaking from Cromarty - Saturday 18th July 2020, 1000-1600
Launching from the Links in Cromarty, we launch from the beach and follow the coastline to the South Sutor passing the World War Two look out towers. We head around the coast down to McFarquhars Cave. If the sea state is calm and suitable we can go into the cave. Paddling back up to the Sutors, we cross over to North Sutor for more exploring the coastline and wildlife. Approx halfway through the trip we stop when suitable with the group at a nice beach location for lunch.
- tandem sea kayaks
- a personal buoyancy aid (PFD), spray deck and a kayak paddle
- a small dry bag per person (if required)
- approx 4.5-5 hours paddling on the water
- copies of photos taken during the trip
What you need to bring: When paddling, you should expect to be splashed a little from boat spray and drips from the paddle. The weather can also change rapidly out on the sea so its best to be prepared for the worst. Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for a day outdoors in the Scottish Highlands.
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over trousers (recommended)
- leggings or outdoor trousers/baselayer/fleece jumper
- a hat/ cap to keep your head warm
- old light footwear/trainers that you don't mind getting wet at launching/landing
We recommend also bringing along;
- water or juice and a small snack (EH currently due to Covid-19 are NOT supplying drinks and snacks for paddlers)
- any medication you may require
- towel & complete change of clothes for afterward - can be taken or left in your car!
- suntan lotion is also a good call for those sunny days.
Jeans and hiking boats are NOT suitable for watersports and kayaking.
Group Size: Max 8x paddlers from 4x households.
Age: This trip is suitable for adults or families (minimum 8-year-old). 8-17 year olds require to be accompanied on one adult to one basis.
Meeting Time: 10.00am. Please arrive early to ensure you can get parked ok and are in time for the safety briefing and kit issue.
Meet Location: The Links Cromarty. We meet at the links Cromarty where there is ample parking for cars on the grass where we can launch onto the beach easily.
Google Map link - https://goo.gl/maps/D2CPyNz6mikGZvqF8
Finish Time: Approx 4.00pm
Distance: Approx. paddling distance 4-5 miles (8km)
Craft: Tandem sea kayaks. Due to us using tandem kayaks and that even although in the outdoors, we are accepting pair bookings from couples, friends, or parent & child from the same household. This is simply because the tandem kayak seats are 1.5 m apart, which is less than the current social distancing requirement. As restrictions are relaxed, we will happily accept individual bookings.
Solo bookings are currently only being accepted with river kayaking and stand up paddling trips as these are solo craft.
Weather: Should the weather (wind/waves) be unsuitable to paddle out on Cromarty/Moray Firth on the day, we may have to relocate to Rosemarkie to paddle in the shelter. Should both venues look unsuitable for an enjoyable paddle, we will postpone the trip and arrange to rebook for a future date or issue a full refund.
Personal Belongings: Cameras, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your car when out on the water
COVID-19 Safety Precautions: A number of precautions are being put in place to ensure safety for all attending.
- All participants are attending on the basis they are NOT suffering from any COVID-19 symptoms, have NOT knowingly been in contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19 symptoms within the last 14 days, and are fit, healthy and happy to participate,
- Should any booked participant discover they have developed any COVID-19 symptoms, participants are asked to contact Explore Highland and notify at the earliest opportunity. As a local, your activity booking will be postponed and welcome you back to participate when you are well and out of the recommended 7-14 days quarantine process.
- We ask all participants to respect social distancing and assist in everyone's safety,
- No shuttle transport option currently available and Explore Highland will meet groups locally in the great outdoors,
- Social distancing maintained including virtual handshakes and afraid we will NOT be supplying added extras including hot drinks and cakes etc.,
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer available for regular application for all,
- Pre & post-cleaning of all craft and kit including a 72 hour resting of all kit used,
- Additional safety briefing to explain self-rescue and ensuring no sharing equipment,
- Coach/guide will use disposable gloves when issuing clean kit or returning at end of session, plus if needing help carrying the craft to the water,
- Tandem craft trip bookings are taken from the same household only (couples, friends, parent & child),
- Usual group photos will be taken using social distancing and same household photos option also offered,
- Should there be any more best practice advice issued, we will ensure to add to this list to further promote safe paddling for all.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online at - www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/