Meeting at Craigton Point, we issue a suitably sized personal buoyancy aid, spray deck, and paddle to everyone. After a short safety briefing, we launch onto Moray Firth and head off on a mini-adventure. As we paddling along the coastline, skills are practiced on route to the village of Kilmuir. Once at Kilmuir we head around the point and continue up the coastline to Munlochy Bay. Here we offer the group an opportunity to land on the beach to stretch their legs and have a tea break. There will be lots of time for photos and wildlife spotting along the way. The way back is always much quicker with your newly acquired paddling skills.
- tandem kayaks
- a personal buoyancy aid, a spray deck, and a suitably sized kayak paddle
- a small dry bag per person
- approx three hours paddling on the water
- copies of photos taken during the trip
What you need to bring: When paddling, you should expect to be splashed a little from boat spray and drips from the paddle. The weather can also change rapidly out on the sea so its best to be prepared for the worst. Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for the four-hour trip outdoors in the Scottish Highlands.
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over trousers (essential)
- leggings/baselayer/fleece jumper
- a hat/ cap to keep your head warm
- old light footwear/trainers that you don't mind getting wet/splashed
We recommend also bringing along;
- water or juice as you may get thirsty
- any medication you may require
- towel & complete change of clothes for afterward - can be taken or left in your car!
Jeans and hiking boats are NOT suitable for watersports and kayaking.
Group Size: Min 4 Adults, Max 8
Age: This trip is suitable for adults or families (minimum 8-year-old). 8-17-year-olds require to be accompanied on one adult to one basis.
Meeting Time: 10.00 am. Please arrive early to ensure you are in time for the safety briefing and kit issue.
Meet Location: Beside RNLI Lifeboat station, North Kessock We meet at North Kessock underneath the Kessock Bridge. There is ample parking for cars on the rough ground just past the Lifeboat station. Please DO NOT park directly beside the Lifeboat station as 24/7 access around it and area should be kept clear for launching and landings, including the landing of the rescue helicopter.
Google Map link - https://goo.gl/maps/BDw6tLf2CZn9PW7PA
Finish Time: Approx 2.00pm
Distance: Approx. paddling distance 5 miles (8km)
Craft: Tandem kayaks. Due to COVID-19, all tandem craft bookings are taken in pairs (same household) and prices reflect 2x adults £50pp (£100) option or 1x adult £50pp & 1x 14-17 year old £45 or 8-13 year old £40 option appropriately.
Weather: Should the weather (wind/waves) be unsuitable to paddle out on Moray Firth on the day, we may have to relocate as a group to a safer location. Transport will be provided.
Personal Belongings: Cameras, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your car when out on the water
COVID-19 Safety Precautions: A number of precautions are being put in place to ensure safety for all attending.
- All participants are attending on the basis they are NOT suffering from any COVID-19 symptoms, have NOT knowingly been in contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19 symptoms within the last 14 days, and are fit, healthy and happy to participate,
- Should any booked participant discover they have developed any COVID-19 symptoms, participants are asked to contact Explore Highland and notify at the earliest opportunity. As a local, your activity booking will be postponed and welcome you back to participate when you are well and out of the recommended 7-14 days quarantine process,
- We ask all participants to respect social distancing and assist in everyone's safety,
- No shuttle transport option currently available and Explore Highland will meet groups locally in the great outdoors,
- Social distancing maintained including virtual handshakes and afraid we will NOT be supplying added extras including hot drinks and cakes etc.,
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer available for regular application for all,
- Pre & post-cleaning of all craft and kit including a 72 hour resting of all kit used,
- Additional safety briefing to explain self-rescue and ensuring no sharing equipment,
- Coach/guide will use disposable gloves when issuing clean kit or returning at end of session, plus if needing help carrying the craft to the water,
- Tandem craft trip bookings are taken from the same household only (couples, friends, parent & child),
- Usual group photos will be taken using social distancing and same household photos option also offered,
- Should there be any more best practice advice issued, we will ensure to add to this list to further promote safe paddling for all.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online at - www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/
Payment: You can make a booking by paying via credit or debit card. Complete the registration form below and confirm with payment.
PLEASE NOTE: Your place is not confirmed until full payment has been completed.