Meeting at Aigas Dam we unload the canoes, paddles and buoyancy aids. After a short safety briefing, we launch onto the peaceful River Beauly. Over the next few hours, we gently paddle up the reservoir to where the river flow is more obvious, enjoying the stunning river, scenery, and wildlife. Stopping at the halfway point for a picnic to further appreciate the countryside before floating back down the river to Aigas Dam. There are a number of sensitive wildlife areas on this trip where we highlight to all paddlers responsible access and wildlife watching code.
- tandem open canoe
- a personal buoyancy aid (PFD) and a paddle
- a small dry bag per person (if required)
- approx 3-3.5 hours paddling on the water
- copies of photos taken during the trip
What you need to bring: When paddling, you should expect to be splashed a little from boat spray and drips from the paddle. The weather can also change rapidly out on the water so its best to be prepared for the worst. Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for the four-hour trip outdoors in the Scottish Highlands.
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over trousers (recommended)
- leggings or outdoor trousers/baselayer/fleece jumper
- a hat/ cap to keep your head warm
- old light footwear/trainers that you don't mind getting wet at launching/landing
- Face coverings for the 6-mile minibus shuttle from Aigas to Struy.
We recommend also bringing along;
- water or juice and a small snack (EH currently due to Covid-19 are NOT supplying drinks and snacks for paddlers)
- any medication you may require
- towel & complete change of clothes for afterward - can be taken or left in your car!
- suntan lotion is also a good call for those sunny days.
Jeans and hiking boats are NOT suitable for watersports and kayaking.
Group Size: Max 8x paddlers from a maximum of 4x households
Age: This trip is suitable for adults or families (minimum 8-year-old). Under 18's are required to be accompanied on this trip by an adult.
Prerequisite: This trip/journey is suitable for those who have canoed before and know the basics. Sorry but as this is a journey, and for the benefit of the whole group, this trip is not suitable for those who have NO past canoeing experience.
Payment: Please note booking/payment for this activity is taken in pairs. Please select the correct pair price option for you and ONLY enter in the first adult/main bookee details when booking 2x adults, or the adult details when booking 1x adult + 1x child place.
Meeting Time: 10.00am. Please arrive early to ensure you can get parked ok and are in time for the safety briefing and kit issue.
Parking Location: You can park in the layby on the left just up the hill past the lower entrance to Aigas Power Station. At the Lovat Bridge by Beauly follow the A831 for 3 miles. Follow the road slowly passed the Aigas Power Station entrance, at the top of the hill there is a long layby on the left-hand side. The meeting point is just 100m along the road in the SSE car park. Please take care especially with kids when walking along the side of the fast road.
Google Map link - https://goo.gl/maps/sCz7AXL2drNeyN5Z9
Finish Time: Approx 2.00pm
Distance: Approx. paddling distance 4 miles
Craft: Tandem canoes. Due to COVID-19, all tandem craft bookings are taken in pairs (same household) and prices reflect 2x adults £50pp (£100) option or 1x adult £50pp & 1x 14-17 year old £45 (£95) option appropriately.
Solo bookings are currently only being accepted with river kayaking and stand up paddling trips as these are solo craft.
Personal Belongings: Cameras, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your car when out on the water
COVID-19 Safety Precautions: A number of precautions are being put in place to ensure safety for all attending.
- All participants are attending on the basis they are NOT suffering from any COVID-19 symptoms, have NOT knowingly been in contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19 symptoms within the last 14 days, and are fit, healthy and happy to participate,
- Should any booked participant discover they have developed any COVID-19 symptoms, participants are asked to contact Explore Highland and notify at the earliest opportunity. As a local, your activity booking will be postponed and welcome you back to participate when you are well and out of the recommended 7-14 days quarantine process,
- We ask all participants to respect social distancing and assist in everyone's safety,
- No shuttle transport option currently available and Explore Highland will meet groups locally in the great outdoors,
- Social distancing maintained including virtual handshakes and afraid we will NOT be supplying added extras including hot drinks and cakes etc.,
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer available for regular application for all,
- Pre & post-cleaning of all craft and kit including a 72 hour resting of all kit used,
- Additional safety briefing to explain self-rescue and ensuring no sharing equipment,
- Coach/guide will use disposable gloves when issuing clean kit or returning at end of session, plus if needing help carrying the craft to the water,
- Tandem craft trip bookings are taken from the same household only (couples, friends, parent & child),
- Usual group photos will be taken using social distancing and same household photos option also offered,
- Should there be any more best practice advice issued, we will ensure to add to this list to further promote safe paddling for all.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online at - www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/
Payment: You can make a booking by paying via BACS or card. Complete the registration form below and confirm with payment.