Beginner Paddleboard Skills Day
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Meeting at Dochgarroch, all are welcomed and introduced over a cuppa. We spend approx half an hour looking over a range of paddleboards, paddles, and other accessories before getting changed into wetsuits, etc for a morning starting off on the Caledonian Canal moving onto Loch Dochfour and practising some paddling fundamentals in the sheltered areas of the loch.
At lunchtime, we discuss the morning lessons and share ideas. In the afternoon we launch back out onto Loch Dochfour and if weather/wind appropriate head out onto Loch Ness. On route we will introduce efficient paddling skills, paddling in wind and board trim.
And if not already required, at the end of the course, close to the finish point those who wish to try/practice capsize and rescue skills. This is a key skill to give paddlers the confidence and knowledge of how to self-rescue should it happen when out on their own or with friends.
- inflatable paddleboard
- a personal buoyancy aid (PFD) and an adjustable paddle
- full body wetsuit and wetsuit shoes (please email height and shoe size if needed)
- a small dry bag for accessories needed out on the water
- full-day course with over 5 hours on the water coaching/guiding
- copies of photos taken by your guide during the course
What you need to bring:
- swimwear (please arrive with swimwear already on)
- wetsuit & shoes if you have your own
- beanie/cap and shades if you wish
- towel & change of clothes
- old footwear/trainers that you don’t mind getting wet/splashed
- packed lunch & water bottle
- any medication you may require
Group Size: Min 3, Max 8
Age: This trip is suitable for adults. 14-18year olds may join when accompanied by a parent/guardian (minimum 14-year-old).
Meeting Time: 9.00 am.
Meeting Location: Dochgaroch Locks, Dochgarroch, by Inverness. IV3 8JG. We meet on the towpath by the three yellow bollards at the Loch Ness side of Dochgarroch Locks. Free parking available in the Scottish Canals car park, NOT Jacobite Loch Ness/An Talla Car Park!
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/VTZJhZgnt8H2
Finish Time: Approx 4.30-5.00pm
Personal Belongings: Camera’s, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your own car or office when out on the water
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online – www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/