Paddle Loch Ness
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Come paddle on the world-famous Loch Ness with Explore Highland. Join this four-hour kayaking adventure across Loch Dochfour and onto Loch Ness whilst getting close to nature, but hopefully not too close to Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster.
Meeting at Dochgarroch Locks, we issue a spray deck, buoyancy aid, and paddle to everyone. After a short safety briefing and set the kayak footrests, we launch onto the Caledonian Canal and head off on a mini-adventure. Paddling across Loch Dochfour exploring on the route towards Loch Ness. Once on Loch Ness, we offer the group an opportunity to land on Lochend beach or by Aldourie Castle to stretch their legs and have a tea break. Here you can sit back and enjoy the stunning view looking down Loch Ness, with a little local history, plenty of opportunities to look for Nessie and take photos.
- tandem kayaks
- a personal buoyancy aid spray deck and kayak paddle
- a small dry bag per person (if required)
- approx three hours on the water guided/coached paddle
- copies of photos taken during the trip
What you need to bring: When paddling, you should expect to be splashed a little from boat spray and drips from the paddle. The weather can also change rapidly out on the lochs so its best to be prepared for the worst. Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for the four-hour trip for outdoors in the Scottish Highlands.
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over-trousers are highly recommended
- leggings/base layer/fleece jumper
- a hat/ cap to keep your head warm
- old light footwear/trainers that you don’t mind getting wet/splashed
- water or juice and a snack for the tea break
- towel & complete change of clothing for afterward – just in case (to be left in your car)!
- any medication you may require
Jeans and hiking boats are NOT suitable for watersports and kayaking out on Loch Ness.
Group Size: Min 4, Max 6 paddlers
Age: This trip is suitable for individuals, couples, and families (minimum 8-year-old). Under 18-year-olds are require to be accompanied on a 1-2-1 basis with a parent/guardian.
Distance: Approx. paddling distance 5 miles (8km)
Craft: Tandem kayaks with rudders
Paddling Experience Req: No prior paddling experience is required. Just a sense of adventure and a willingness to learn a new recreation.
Weather: Should the weather (wind/waves) be unsuitable to paddle out onto Loch Ness on the day, we may have to make the decision to paddle on Loch Dochfour only, or on the more sheltered Caledonian Canal.
Personal Belongings: Camera’s, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your own car when out on the water
Meeting Time: 10.00am. Please arrive early to ensure time to park, change, and use toilet facilities. All need to be present for kit issuing and safety brief.
Meet Location: Dochgaroch Locks, Dochgarroch, by Inverness. IV3 8JG. We meet on the towpath by the three yellow bollards at the Loch Ness side of Dochgarroch Locks. Free parking available in the Scottish Canals car park, NOT Jacobite Loch Ness/An Talla Car Park!
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/VTZJhZgnt8H2
Finish Time: Approx 2.00pm
COVID-19 Activity Advice: A number of precautions are being put in place to ensure safety for all attending.
- All participants are attending on the basis they are NOT suffering from any COVID-19 symptoms, have NOT knowingly been in contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19 symptoms within the last 14 days, and are fit, healthy, and happy to participate.
- Should any booked participant discover they have developed any COVID-19 symptoms, participants are asked to contact Explore Highland by email at the earliest opportunity.
- We ask all participants to respect social distancing to assist in everyone’s safety.
- Social distancing will be maintained throughout the activity whether on land or when out on the water.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitisers will be available for regular application at the start, tea break, and at the end of the paddling day.
- Pre & post-cleaning of all kayaks and kit will be completed to ensure all paddler’s safety.
- Additional safety briefing to explain options for self-rescue and ensuring no sharing of equipment.
- Should the Scottish/UK government change travel restrictions after deposits/balance has been paid, Explore Highland will honour your booking and offer an alternative date/event to attend once restrictions have been lifted.
- Should there be any more best practice advice issued, we will ensure to add to this list to further promote safe paddling for all.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online at – www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/