SUP Isle of Skye
- 10/06/2022 - 13/06/2022
11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Join Donald on this four-day Isle of Skye stand-up paddling adventure.
The Isle of Skye is well renowned Scottish Island for its rugged beauty and scenery. It’s one of the busiest tourist destinations in Scotland so why stick to the beaten track. These four days will take you around a small section of the island, get away from it all and relax in some amazing scenery.
Depending on the wind and weather forecasts over the paddling adventure period, a number of different locations can be used to ensure everyone gets the most out of the four days on the water. By meeting at Kyleakin on day 1, forecasts and various locations can be discussed with the group to plan either one longer trip in one area or two shorter trips covering two different locations.
There will be an evening zoom meeting held on Tuesday 3rd May @7pm to ensure all participants get a virtual face to face, a opportunity to confirm information and to ask further questions.
- a Red Paddle Co 12’6 Voyager touring paddleboard, adjustable paddle, buoyancy aid and waist leash
- 70 ltr large & 35 ltr medium dry bag
- various 10 ltr dry bags
- tent, roll mat, cooking equipment & toilet bag (if required)
- four days of paddleboard guiding/coaching over canal sections, open water lochs and two river sections
- copies of photos taken by your guide during the adventure
What you need to bring:
We recommend bring along;
- wetsuit/drysuit or your own warm paddling clothing
- good waterproof trousers & jacket for around camp
- suitable footwear for paddling and at camp
- hat, cap & gloves
- spare clothing & sleeping bag
- personal toiletries, midgy spray & suntan lotion
- individual snacks and treats for between meals
- food (3x lunches, 3x breakfasts, 3x dinners),
- 2x water bottles, and a flask/cup
- additional spending money – For any souvenirs, additional tea/coffee/treats on the route
Personal Belongings: Camera’s, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out on the Canoe Trail at your own risk.
Group Size: Max 6 paddlers
Craft: Touring (12’6) stand up paddleboards will be used.
Distance: approx. 12-15 miles per day.
Duration: Four days paddling/three nights wild camping
Meeting Time: 11am
Meet Location: Kyleakin Village Carpark.
Finish Time: Approx. 4-6.00 pm on Day 4
Paddling Experience Req: Stand-up paddling experience is required for this adventure. We would advise this trip is suitable for those who have 5-10 days paddleboarding experience to suitability to take on the coastal waters.
Physical Fitness: Although paddling is relatively relaxing, paddlers should be generally fit and possibly do some upper body muscular endurance training to build up to paddle approximately 10-15 miles per day for five days. You should be fit enough to be able to move and handle paddleboards, drybags, and kit on and off the water at the various launch & landing locations. Best practice lifting & moving techniques will be shown.
Age: This adventure is suitable for adults only
COVID-19 Activity Advice: A number of precautions are being put in place to ensure safety for all attending.
- All participants are attending on the basis they are NOT suffering from any COVID-19 symptoms, have NOT knowingly been in contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19 symptoms within the last 14 days, and are fit, healthy, and happy to participate.
- Should any booked participant discover they have developed any COVID-19 symptoms, participants are asked to contact Explore Highland by email at the earliest opportunity.
- We ask all participants to respect social distancing to assist in everyone’s safety.
- Social distancing will be maintained throughout the adventure whether on land or when out on the water.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitisers will be available for regular application at the start, tea break, and at the end of the paddling day.
- Pre & post-cleaning of all boards and kit will be completed to ensure all paddler’s safety.
- Additional safety briefing to explain options for self-rescue and ensuring ways to ensure no sharing of equipment.
- Group photos will be taken using social distancing and “group hug photos” encouraged only for the same household paddlers.
- A lateral flow test will be requested to be undertaken 24 hrs prior to this adventure to ensure all participants test negative for Covid-19
- Should the Scottish/UK government change travel restrictions after deposits/balance has been paid, Explore Highland will honour your booking and offer an alternative date/event to attend once restrictions have been lifted.
- Should there be any more best practice advice be issued, we will ensure to add to this list to further promote safe paddling for all.
Price: £440 per person.
Payment: You can book your place online by completing the booking process below. To reserve your place you only require to pay the 25% deposit now, with the balance invoice forwarded for payment six weeks prior to adventure start date.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online – www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/