Great Glen Canoe Trail Shuttle Service
Explore Highland offers bespoke Great Glen Canoe Trail shuttle services for those taking on this formal Canoe Trail. Based in Inverness we offer a cost-effective shuttle service for open canoe hire clients only.
Great Glen Bespoke Shuttle (Inverness to Fort William)
Most groups we shuttle meet at the Coop, Telford Street, just beside the Canoe Trail car park finish point, Inverness. Here there is space to pack your kit into the hired barrels. Plus if you have forgotten anything, you can pop in for additional food at the store, or if it’s camping equipment, Go Outdoors store is only 200m away. You can also pick up your Canoe Trail facilities key from the Scottish Canals Seaport Marina office which is just by the canal during office hours (Mon-Fri).
After loading up the Explore Highland minibus and/or trailer, you can park your car(s) in the Great Glen Canoe Trail car park by Muirtown Basin, Inverness where there are designated parking spaces you can use for free during your Great Glen Canoe Trail adventure.
We then shuttle you to your requested drop-off/start point. For the majority of paddler groups this is to the top of Neptune’s Staircase at Banavie, Fort William. This takes just under two hours in summer, but with A82 swing bridge delays it can sometimes take a little longer.
During the shuttle, you will see the trail first hand and able to ask about the route as you are driven through the Great Glen. This is invaluable for those who are less familiar with the area and first time taking on the route.
Great Glen Bespoke Shuttle (Meeting in Fort William)
Should you wish to meet at the Canoe Trail start, Banavie, Fort William, Explore Highland can easily shuttle your canoe(s) and kit to Fort William.
After dropping off your own supplies and equipment at the top of Neptune Staircase, Banavie, any drivers can then move their vehicle down to the main Scottish Canal car park besides the Moorings Hotel where there is plenty of free parking spaces.
Once completed your Great Glen paddling adventure, Explore Highland will meet you at the finish point which is again usually at Canoe Trail car park at Muirtown Basin, Inverness and collect back the canoe(s) and kit hired.
If you need to return to Fort William, there is a two hourly Scottish Citylink bus service from Inverness returning to Fort William for approx £13 per person or for larger groups a private car or minibus can be prebooked with Inverness Taxis (01463 222222)
Normal shuttle timings meeting in Inverness include.
- 9am Saturday’s and Sunday’s
- 6pm weekdays, Saturday’s and Sunday’s
- Limited canoe shuttle are available at other times.
Inverness to Banavie, Fort William Shuttle Overview
Six-hour shuttle overview:
- 60 mins – Check and load canoes & hire kit plus drive to Inverness meeting point
- 5 mins – Meet n greet clients at Coop Telford Street car park
- 20 mins – Pack kit into hired barrels, and load minibus and/or trailer
- 5 mins – Clients move cars across the road to the Great Glen Canoe Trail car park
- 2 hour – Shuttle to Banavie, Fort William
- 10 mins – Unloading minibus and/or trailer of bags, boats & kit
- 20 mins – Advice on packing the canoes, moving & handling, using a portage trolley, and canoe sailing kits if required
- 2 hour – Return drive to Inverness for driver