Explore Highland offer open canoe hire throughout Scotland including the Scottish Highlands for the likes of the Great Glen Canoe Trail, River Spey Descent and Glen Affric Nature Reserve.
Available for hire include;
- 15′ Venture Prospector canoes fitted with a solo kneeling thwart, central carry yoke, as well as two wooden webbed seats for tandem paddling
- 16′ Venture Prospector canoes fitted with two wooden webbed seats, central carry yoke, and an extra thwart to allow you to tie down all your expedition kit.
By providing only the best equipment and support, you can be sure that your hire equipment will really make your canoeing adventure holiday with Explore Highland that wee bit special.
Canoe Hire Kit
Explore highland includes the following kit FREE OF CHARGE when requested with all canoe hires;
- Various buoyancy aid sizes available to suit individual paddlers build
- Various helmet sizes issued for moving/whitewater trips depending on paddlers size
- 130cm, 140cm and 150cm paddles available issued based on paddlers height
- Spare canoe paddle issued per craft
- 1x 60-litre barrel per craft for expedition use
- 1x 60-litre dry bag/backpack per person for day tripping and expeditions
- 1x canoe portage trolley and securing strap for Great Glen Canoe Trail use per craft
- Security Cable & Padlock for when you need to leave your canoe
- 1x 5-metre lashing cord to secure kit into craft when on moving and open water
- 1x Throw bag for the group leader use
- Sponge & bailer per craft
- Kneeling mats for solo paddlers
- Tandem downwind sailing kits supplied per canoe
- Solo canoe sailing kit (suitable for 15′ canoes which have foot masts)
- Water carriers
Please complete the downloadable Canoe Kit List and submit at the time of booking so your kit is reserved along with your craft.
Canoe Hire Additional Kit
Also available are the following additional chargeable items;
- Toilet kits, includes trowel, loo roll & hand sanatizer in a dry bag – £5 per kit
- Sleeping roll mats – £2 per roll
- Stove & cooking sets – £ depending on requirements.
Canoe Hire Costs
Explore Highland canoe hire charge for 2020 are;
- One day – £ 55* ( minimum 4x canoe hire)
- Two days – £100
- Three days – £120
- Four days – £155
- Five days – £175 or £155**
* Afraid it’s not viable to offer single craft or less than two-day canoe hire. Please look to join one of the planned half day, full day or book a private guided trip.
** Fifth day hire free of charge for Great Glen Canoe Trail
For longer hires, please add £30 per day.
Feel free to download and share the canoe hire price list with your paddling friends – 2020 Canoe Hire Pricelist
You can find more details and costs of shuttle services below.
When out paddling under the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, you must take responsibility for your own actions on and off the water. Further details can also be found online at www.explorehighland.com/downloads/, but Donald can help by providing you with further local knowledge on responsible access at the time of hire also. This includes parking, access and egress location, wild camping and campfires etiquette in the Highlands.
As a responsible business, open canoe hire is only available to those with paddling and safety experience in craft & intended environments. For those who have no experience or looking at venturing into unknown waters, a professional guiding service is available.
Alternatively, Donald can offer a skills/safety training workshop for those wishing to hire canoes without any experience.
Booking Your Canoe Hire
You can book your canoe hire in three easy steps.
Step 1 – Check out the online diary for Donald’s availability for hire kit issuing and shuttle service is required. Craft availability is not listed online.
Step 2 – Complete the downloadable Hire & Shuttle Booking Form along with you Canoe Kit List.
Step 3 – Email all required forms to Donald at email@example.com
Please also be aware as featured on the diary page, Donald is out coaching/guiding and not office based, so please apply with plenty of time to allow enquiries to be processed.
Canoe Hire Terms & Conditions
- Canoe hire is offered on the basis that hirers are appropriately experienced and qualified in the craft being hired, including safety & rescue of craft, kit and group, in the environment being paddled. No instruction or safety cover is included with hire.
- Canoe Floatation wedges are fitted to the bow & stern of all canoes hired. These should NOT be removed or interfered with by hirer at any time.
- Buoyancy aids are issued per canoeist and recommended to be worn at all times when on the water.
- £100 refundable security deposit is required per craft at the time of hire.
- Minimum of 14 days notice is required for all hires during peak season (March to October). Please see the online diary for Donald’s availability as longer may be required as frequently away guided multiday adventure holidays with little to no signal.
- Drop off/collection service is also available when booked at same time as your hire.
- Hire Agreement terms & conditions form is required to be signed at the time of hire.
For those with limited to no canoeing experience, Donald run’s regular half day and full day trips plus offers bespoke guided adventure holidays which include coaching, guiding, transport and safety cover.