Paddle Moray Firth
The Moray Firth is a large triangular inlet of the North Sea. Spanning from Fraserburgh to Wick and into Inverness.
The area closest to Inverness is classed as the Inner Moray Firth and is generally more sheltered due to the land narrowing as it comes inland to the Kessock Bridge. Here is where we start our Paddle Moray Firth sea kayaking trips. Launching from beside RLNI Lifeboat Station by Craigton Point, North Kessock, makes for a perfect paddle from the city outskirts into open waters, coastline and the chance to see some local wildlife.
During this paddle its possible spot the famous Moray Firth bottlenose dolphins, otters, seals, red kites and more. And with a relaxed professional coach/guide, you will certainly have an adventurous experience out on the sea.
For 2020 we will be using Wavesport tandem kayaks for these trips.
These kayaks are…
- Easy access/egress for adults and kids with large cockpits
- Very stable due to being wide and have a low centre of balance
- Comfortable deluxe seat pads with backrests
- These kayaks enable more distance and handle all conditions
- Paddling tandem helps average out group ability and enables adults and child to paddle together
Planned Moray Firth Trips
Explore Highland runs a number of planned four-hour paddling trips out on the Moray Firth April to August. These trips are scheduled around other bookings however generally there is one planned per week, usually, an evening paddles (6-10pm), however, other timings may be available on request.
Paddle Moray Firth 2020 dates which have already been planned include;
- Monday 13th April, 1800-2200
- Friday 8th May, 1800-2200
- Friday 29th May, 1800-2200
- Friday 26th June, 1800-2200
- Friday 3rd July, 1800-2200
- Friday 17th July, 1800-2200
- Wednesday 22nd July, 1800-2200
- Wednesday 29th July, 1800-2200
- Friday 7th August, 1800-2200
- Friday 28th August, 1800-2200
The normal cost for planned trips are;
- Adults – £50pp
- 12-17yo – £35pp (this trip is not suitable for under 12-year-olds)
Link to normal Paddle Moray Firth Trip Information
Please see the activity diary to book online.
Private Moray Firth Experience
Explore Highland offer groups the opportunity to book a private Paddle Moray Firth Experience. The recommended craft for this paddle is tandem sea kayaks.
Should paddlers be experienced and wind minimal, stand up paddleboards could also be offered.
The added benefit of having a Private Moray Firth Experience is that you can set the time. During summer Explore Highland suggest sunrise 6-10am, morning 9am-1pm, afternoon 1-5pm and evening 6-10pm options.
Paddle Moray Firth (4 hours) trips start from £200!
- 4x Adults – £55pp = £220
- 5-8 Adults – £50pp
- Family trip, 2x Adults £60pp + 2x U18’s £40pp (12-17yo) = £200
Private Moray Firth Day Experience
Full day Moray Firth Experiences are also available for adult groups only by request. Launch locations for these could include;
- North Kessock
Full day Moray Firth Experience (8 hour) trips start from….
- 3x Adults – £80pp = £240
- 4x Adults – £75pp = £300
- 5-8 Adults – £65pp