Meeting at Dochgarroch Locks, we discuss the day over a social cuppa. Once all welcomed and introduced, we spend half an hour looking over a boat, paddles, and other canoeing accessorise.
After getting changed, the rest of the morning is spent on the Caledonian Canal, learning canoeing basics.
Over lunch, we chat about your newly learned skills and discuss the plan for the afternoon.
As a group we head up onto Loch Dochfour and if weather/wind appropriate, out onto Loch Ness. The fun, skills, and learning continue including experiencing solo canoeing, poling, and sailing.
This course is ideal for those wishing to have an enjoyable, knowledgeable but not too energetic a day out on the water.
- open canoe
- a personal buoyancy aid (PFD) and a canoe paddle
- full body wetsuit and wetsuit shoes (please email height and shoe size if required)
- a small dry bag for accessories for an afternoon adventure
- full-day course with over 5 hours on the water coaching/guiding
- transport from/back to EH store/workshop if required
- copies of photos taken by your guide during the course
What you need to bring:
When paddling, you should expect anything from a splash to a full immersion should you capsize. The weather can also change rapidly out on the lochs so its best to be prepared for the worst. Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for the day, outdoors in the Scottish Highlands.
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over trousers (essential)
- wetsuit if you have one (or avail. if requested)
- leggings/baselayer/fleece jumper
- a hat/ cap to keep your head warm
- old light footwear/trainers that you don't mind getting wet/splashed
- packed lunch, water or juice as you may get thirsty. Food and drink are also available at An Talla close by.
- any medication you may require
- towel & complete change of clothes for afterward - can be taken or left in your car!
Jeans and hiking boats are NOT suitable clothing for this course.
Group Size: Min 4 Adults, Max 8 (Bookings closes 48 hours before the activity date. Should there not be sufficient numbers, you will be notified and issued a full refund)
Age: This trip is suitable for adults or families (minimum 14-year-old). 14-17-year-olds require to be accompanied on one adult to two teenager basis. Should you require to book for multiple spaces, please check spaces available when registering "Add More Attendee's? Click to toggle, limit X)" lets you see remaining spaces. Adults and U18's need to be booked/paid separately.
Meeting Time: 9.30 am. Please arrive early to ensure time to park, change and use toilet facilities.
Meet Location: Dochgaroch Locks, Dochgarroch, by Inverness. IV3 8JG (Google Map link) or ///ounce.banks.shave (What3words)
Turning of the A82 at Oakwood restaurant, follow the main road for 300m over to speed bumps and turn right into the Scottish Canals carpark. Meeting place is on the grass area next to the carpark. You'll see the canoes! 🙂
If in Inverness with no transport, you are welcome to jump into the minibus EH base for a lift out to Dochgarroch. Please ensure you are at EH store/workshop 45 minutes before activity meet time. Happy to offer a lift back to Inverness at end of the adventure. If you wish a lift out to Aigas, please email Donald on email@example.com minimum 48 hours prior. Otherwise I'll look forward to meeting you at Dochgarroch Locks.
Parking: Free parking available in the Scottish Canals car park, NOT Jacobite by Loch Ness/An Talla Car Park!
Finish Time: Approx 5.00pm
Craft: Open canoes
Personal Belongings: Camera's, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your own car when out on the water
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online at - www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/