Meeting at Dochgarroch Locks, we issue a suitably sized personal buoyancy aid and paddle to everyone. After a short safety briefing, we launch onto the Caledonian Canal and head off on a mini-adventure. Paddling across Loch Dochfour exploring on the route towards Loch Ness. Once on Loch Ness, we offer the group an opportunity to land on Lochend beach or by Aldourie Castle to stretch their legs and have a tea break. Here you can sit back and enjoy the stunning view looking down Loch Ness, with a little local history, plenty of opportunities to look for Nessie and take photos.
- tandem kayaks
- a personal buoyancy aid, spray deck and kayak paddle
- a small dry bag per person
- approx three hours paddling
- copies of photos taken during the trip
What you need to bring: Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for the four-hour trip for outdoors in the Scottish Highlands.
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over-trousers are highly recommended
- leggings/baselayer/fleece jumper
- a hat/ cap to keep your head warm
- old light footwear/trainers that you don't mind getting wet/splashed
We recommend also bringing along;
- water or juice as you may get thirsty
- any medication you may require
- towel & complete change of clothes for afterward - can be taken or left in your car!
Jeans and hiking boats are NOT suitable for watersports and kayaking out on Loch Ness.
Group Size: Min 4 Adults, Max 8
Age: This trip is suitable for adults or families (minimum 8-year-old).
Meeting Time: 10.00am. Please arrive early to ensure time to park, change and use toilet facilities. All need to be present for kit issuing and safety brief.
Meet Location: Dochgaroch Locks, Dochgarroch, by Inverness. IV3 8JG. We meet on the towpath by the three yellow bollards at the Loch Ness side of Dochgarroch Locks/30 min short-term parking area opposite the An Talla. Google Map link - https://goo.gl/maps/VTZJhZgnt8H2
Parking: Free parking available in the Scottish Canals car park, NOT Jacobite Loch Ness Car Park!
Finish Time: Approx 2.00pm
Distance: Approx. paddling distance 5 miles (8km)
Craft: Tandem kayaks. Due to COVID-19, all tandem craft bookings are taken in pairs (same household) and prices reflect 2x adults £50pp (£100) option or 1x adult £50pp & 1x U18 £45/£40pp option appropriately. You DO NOT need to register for the second person but just note their name in the registration process as the second paddler as they are included in the pair cost.
Weather: Should the weather (wind/waves) be unsuitable to paddle out onto Loch Ness on the day, we may have to make the decision to paddle on Loch Dochfour only and/or the Caledonian Canal instead.
Personal Belongings: Camera's, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your own car when out on the water
Meeting at Fisherman, 's Car Park, Inverness, we spend approx half an hour looking over and issuing all river kayaking kit. Then we head up to Dochgarroch and launch onto the Caledonian Canal where we head up to Loch Dochfour to work on some flat water skills. When everyone feels ready we progress onto the River Ness for more skills training into river basics.
We slowly work our way down the river learning about basic river reading, ferry gliding, breaking in and out of the flow, plus river safety and rescue skills.
This is perfect day out on the water for those who have not been on a river kayaking before.
- suitably sized river kayak
- a personal buoyancy aid, spray deck, paddle, and helmet
- adult-sized full-body wetsuits can be supplied if required
- two small dry bags for accessories needed out on the water
- full-day course with over 5 hours on the water coaching/guiding
- transport from Inverness to Dochgarroch
- copies of photos taken by your guide during the course
What you need to bring:
- swimwear (please arrive with swimwear already on)
- wetsuit & old trainers
- towel & change of clothes
- packed lunch & water bottle
- any medication you may require
- facemask for the shuttle
Group Size: Max 4 paddlers
Age: This trip is suitable for adults. 14-18 year olds may join when accompanied by a parent/guardian (minimum 14-year-old). Should you require to book for multiple spaces, please check spaces available when registering "Add More Attendee's? Click to toggle, limit X)" lets you see remaining spaces. Adults and U18's need to be booked/paid separately.
Meeting Time: 9.30 am.
Meeting Location: https://goo.gl/maps/PVtwiNSappagKhyp8 (Google Maps link) or https://w3w.co/motor.stack.wisdom (What3words)
Parking: There are ample spaces available at Fishermans car park at that time on a Sunday morning.
Facilities: Please ensure you use toilet facilities and change/have swimwear on prior to attending.
Finish Time: Approx 5.00 pm at Fisherman's car park, Inverness
Personal Belongings: Camera's, phones, car keys and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your own car or office when out on the water
COVID-19 Safety Precautions: A number of precautions are being put in place to ensure safety for all attending.
- All participants are attending on the basis they are NOT suffering from any COVID-19 symptoms, have NOT knowingly been in contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19 symptoms within the last 14 days, and are fit, healthy and happy to participate,
- Should any booked participant discover they have developed any COVID-19 symptoms, participants are asked to contact Explore Highland and notify at the earliest opportunity. As a local, your activity booking will be postponed and welcome you back to participate when you are well and out of the recommended 7-14 days quarantine process,
- We ask all participants to respect social distancing and assist in everyone's safety,
- Social distancing maintained including virtual handshakes and afraid we will NOT be supplying added extras including hot drinks and cakes etc.,
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer available for regular application for all,
- Pre & post-cleaning of all craft and kit including a 72 hour resting of all kit used,
- Additional safety briefing to explain self-rescue and ensuring no sharing equipment,
- Coach/guide will use disposable gloves when issuing clean kit or returning at end of session, plus if needing help carrying the craft to the water,
- Usual group photos will be taken using social distancing and same household photos option also offered,
- Should there be any more best practice advice issued, we will ensure to add to this list to further promote safe paddling for all.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online - www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/
Prices: £100 2x adults/tandem, £95 1x adult & 1x 14-17 year old, £90 1x Adult & 1x 8-13 year old. Booking payment accepted in tandem pairs only due to COVID-19.
Payment: You can make a booking by paying via BACS or Paypal. Complete the registration form below and confirm with payment.
PLEASE NOTE: Your place is not confirmed until full payment has been completed.