Meeting at Dochgarroch Locks, we issue a suitably sized personal buoyancy aid and paddle to everyone. After a short safety briefing, we launch onto the Caledonian Canal and head off on a mini-adventure. Paddling across Loch Dochfour exploring on the route towards Loch Ness. Once on Loch Ness, we offer the group an opportunity to land on Lochend beach or by Aldourie Castle to stretch their legs and have a tea break. Here you can sit back and enjoy the stunning view looking down Loch Ness, with a little local history, plenty of opportunities to look for Nessie and take photos.
- tandem kayaks
- a personal buoyancy aid (PFD) and a suitably sized kayak paddle
- a small dry bag per person/kayak
- approx 3-3.5 hours paddling time
- copies of photos taken during the trip
What you need to bring: When paddling, you should expect to be splashed a little from boat spray and drips from the paddle. The weather can also change rapidly out on the lochs so its best to be prepared for the worst. Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for the four-hour trip in the Scottish Highlands great outdoors.
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over-trousers are highly recommended
- leggings/baselayer/fleece jumper
- a hat/ cap to keep your head warm
- old light footwear/trainers that you don't mind getting wet/splashed
We recommend also bringing along;
- water or juice as you may get thirsty and a snack or lunch if paddle taking place over lunchtime
- any medication you may require
- towel & complete change of clothes for afterward - can be taken or left in your car!
Jeans and hiking boats are NOT suitable for watersports and kayaking out on Loch Ness.
Group Size: Min 4 Adults, Max 8 (booking in household pairs only at this time)
Age: This trip is suitable for adults or families (minimum 8-year-old).
Meeting Time: 10.00am. Please visit toilet facilities before arrive as none are currently available at the start point. All need to be present for kit issuing and safety brief.
Meet Location: Dochgaroch Locks, Dochgarroch, by Inverness. IV3 8JG. We meet on the towpath by the three yellow bollards at the Loch Ness side of Dochgarroch Locks/30 min short-term parking area opposite the An Talla. Google Map link - https://goo.gl/maps/VTZJhZgnt8H2
Parking: Free parking available in the Scottish Canals car park, NOT Jacobite Loch Ness Car Park!
Finish Time: Approx 2.00pm
Distance: Approx. paddling distance 5 miles (8km)
Craft: Tandem kayaks. Due to COVID-19, all tandem craft bookings are taken in pairs (same household) and prices reflect 2x adults £50pp (£100) option or 1x adult £50pp & 1x U18 £45/£40pp option appropriately. You DO NOT need to register for the second person but just note their name in the registration process as the second paddler as they are included in the pair cost.
Weather: Should the weather (wind/waves) be unsuitable to paddle out onto Loch Ness on the day, we may have to make the decision to paddle on Loch Dochfour only and/or the Caledonian Canal instead.
Personal Belongings: Camera's, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your own car when out on the water
COVID-19 Safety Precautions: A number of precautions are being put in place to ensure safety for all attending.
- All participants are attending on the basis they are NOT suffering from any COVID-19 symptoms, have NOT knowingly been in contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19 symptoms within the last 14 days, and are fit, healthy and happy to participate,
- Should any booked participant discover they have developed any COVID-19 symptoms, participants are asked to contact Explore Highland and notify at the earliest opportunity. As a local, your activity booking will be postponed and welcome you back to participate when you are well and out of the recommended 7-14 days quarantine process,
- We ask all participants to respect social distancing and assist in everyone's safety,
- No shuttle transport option currently available and Explore Highland will meet groups locally in the great outdoors,
- Social distancing maintained including virtual handshakes and afraid we will NOT be supplying added extras including hot drinks and cakes etc.,
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer available for regular application for all,
- Pre & post-cleaning of all kit used,
- Additional safety briefing to explain self-rescue and ensuring no sharing equipment,
- Coach/guide will use disposable gloves when issuing clean kit or returning at end of session, plus if needing help carrying the craft to the water,
- Usual group photos will be taken using social distancing and same household photos option also offered,
- Should there be any more best practice advice issued, we will ensure to add to this list to further promote safe paddling for all.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online at - www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/
Prices: £100 2x adults/tandem, £95 1x adult & 1x 14-17 year old, £90 1x Adult & 1x 8-13 year old. Booking payment accepted in tandem pairs only due to COVID-19.
Payment: You can make a booking by paying via BACS or Paypal. Complete the registration form below and confirm with payment.
PLEASE NOTE: Your place is not confirmed until full payment has been completed.