6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Meeting at the Caledonian Canal in Inverness, we issue a suitably sized personal buoyancy aid, board, and paddle to everyone. After a short safety briefing, we go through some basic paddling strokes and skills on land before taking to the water to put those skills into action.
- paddleboard and leash
- a personal buoyancy aid (PFD) and an adjustable sup paddle
- approx 1-1.5 hours paddling on the water
- copies of photos taken during the session
- full body wetsuits can be supplied if requested by email 24 hrs before activity. Please email height (feet/inches) and build. email firstname.lastname@example.org
What you need to bring: When paddling, you should at best expect to get splashed a little, and at worst falling off the board putting your skills and balance to test. The weather can also change rapidly when out on the water so it’s best to be prepared for the worst. Please bring suitable outdoor clothing to keep you warm for the 2 hours outdoor session.
- a waterproof jacket and waterproof over trousers (recommended)
- shorts or leggings/baselayer/fleece jumper or wetsuit
- a hat/ cap to keep your head warm
- old light footwear/wetsuit shoes/trainers that you don’t mind getting wet when launching and landing
We recommend also bringing along;
- water bottle
- any medication you may require
- towel & complete change of clothes for afterward – can be left in your car!
Jeans and hiking boats are NOT suitable for watersports and paddling.
Group Size: maximum of 6 paddlers
Age: This session is suitable for adults or accompanied 14-17-year-olds. (minimum 14-year-old).
Meeting Time: 6.00 pm. Please arrive early to ensure you can get parked ok and are in time for the safety briefing and kit issue.
Local Facilities: Please note we are meeting in a public area where there are no facilities/no toilets available nearby.
Meet Location: Clachnharry Works Lock Canoe Trail pontoon. On Clachnaharry Road heading away from Inverness on the Beauly road. Driving past Blackpark Petrol station. Take the next turn-off first on your right opposite Till Hill Forestry. Please park responsibly and do not block the towpath.
Google Map link – Clachnaharry Canoe Trail Pontoon
Finish Time: Approx 8.00-8.30 pm
Craft: Solo touring paddleboards. You are welcome to bring your own board and kit. Please ensure you arrive with sufficient time to have your board unloaded and inflated for the start time.
Weather: Should the weather/wind be unsuitable to paddle on the canal, Explore Highland will contact all booked clients and arrange to rebook for a future date.
Personal Belongings: Cameras, phones, car keys, and other personal belongings are taken out onto the water at your own risk. If in doubt, please leave these items in your car when out on the water
COVID-19 Activity Advice: A number of precautions are being put in place to ensure safety for all attending.
- All participants are attending on the basis they are NOT suffering from any COVID-19 symptoms, have NOT knowingly been in contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19 symptoms within the last 14 days, and are fit, healthy, and happy to participate.
- Should any booked participant discover they have developed any COVID-19 symptoms, participants are asked to contact Explore Highland by email at the earliest opportunity.
- We ask all participants to respect social distancing to assist in everyone’s safety.
- Social distancing will be maintained throughout the activity whether on land or when out on the water.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitisers will be available for regular application at the start, tea break, and at the end of the paddling day.
- Pre & post-cleaning of all kayaks and kit will be completed to ensure all paddler’s safety.
- Additional safety briefing to explain options for self-rescue and ensuring no sharing of equipment.
- Should the Scottish/UK government change travel restrictions after deposits/balance has been paid, Explore Highland will honour your booking and offer an alternative date/event to attend once restrictions have been lifted.
- Should there be any more best practice advice issued, we will ensure to add to this list to further promote safe paddling for all.
Terms & Conditions: Terms and conditions can be found online at – www.explorehighland.com/terms-conditions/